Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced Thursday the provincial stay-at-home order would be extended until at least June 2 in an effort to "save the summer," moving the original expiration date from May 20.
He made the announcement alongside chief medical officer of health Dr. David Williams, Health Minister Christine Elliott and Solicitor General Sylvia Jones.
Ford went on to criticized Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during Thursday’s briefing over measures involving air and ground travel, calling on the federal government for putting in more stringent measures. He also disagreed with Trudeau’s comment made earlier this week of having a "one dose summer, two dose fall," saying if they can get the supplies they’ll have a "two dose summer."
The province also announced that those 12 to 17 would be able to book an appointment to get their Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine starting May 31.
Amid a pause by the province on using the AstraZeneca vaccine for first doses over concerns about the extremely rare blood clotting disorder and supply issues, Ford said that he would get the second dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine "in a second" if he could. Chief medical officer of health Dr. David Williams and Health Minister Christine Elliott have both said studies show there was "very little" safety concern about second doses.
Ontario reported 2,759 COVID-19 cases on Wednesday. The provincial total now stands at 502,171.
For more info, please go to http://www.globalnews.ca
Subscribe to Global News Channel HERE: http://bit.ly/20fcXDc
Like Global News on Facebook HERE: http://bit.ly/255GMJQ
Follow Global News on Twitter HERE: http://bit.ly/1Toz8mt
Follow Global News on Instagram HERE: https://bit.ly/2QZaZIB
#GlobalNews #COVID #Coronavirus