Toronto Mayor John Tory, the city’s top doctor Dr. Eileen de Villa and Matthew Pegg, the Incident Commander for preparedness and response to COVID-19 held a press conference on Monday following Premier Doug Ford’s announcement of an Ontario-wide lockdown and further public health restrictions amid a surge in COVID-19 cases.
Pegg said a total of 25 charges were laid over the weekend over a number of protests and rallies. He also said there were several incidents involving outdoor rinks.
Mayor Tory scolded those who flouted outdoor rink restrictions over the weekend, saying some "grown adults" showed up during off hours and played shinny hockey when it is strictly prohibited.
Tory also said not much will change in Toronto with the new provincewide shutdown – only which businesses may fall under being deemed essential.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford earlier on Monday announced the province will be entering a provincewide shutdown beginning at 12:01 a.m. on Dec. 26. With COVID-19 cases rising dramatically,
Ford says his government needs a runway to rollout a vaccine. The stay-at-home order will be in place for 28 days in southern Ontario and 14 days in northern Ontario.
Many health-care officials, as well as some Greater Toronto Area politicians — including Tory — have called for stronger restrictions over the holidays in a bid to slow the spread of COVID-19.
For more info, please go to https://globalnews.ca/news/7534030/ontario-new-coronavirus-restrictions-2/
Subscribe to Global News Channel HERE: http://bit.ly/20fcXDc
Like Global News on Facebook HERE: http://bit.ly/255GMJQ
Follow Global News on Twitter HERE: http://bit.ly/1Toz8mt
Follow Global News on Instagram HERE: https://bit.ly/2QZaZIB
#Coronavirus #COVID19 #Toronto #GlobalNews